> Serverhosting.....Splatterladder....., 4 years have gone... some thoughts
schnoog
post Feb 1 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #1

Group Icon Master of Desaster

Group: Management

Member No.: 23716

Hi folks,
mid of February 2014, SL started the server hosting project.

The idea behind it was, to offer a self charging server hosting, with very low fees.

Now, 4 years later, I'm thinking about shutting down this service.

The primary reason: It was never self charging.
During this 4 years, a total of 2395,2 Euro was paid to the hosting company for server rent.
In total 977,40 auf server fee was earned.
The difference of 1400 Euro were paid by me.

But this is not everything I mediate on.

In addition to the hosting difference 100 Euro / month for hosting the Splatterladder and the backup system are on the bill,
150 Euro draining out of my pocket month by month (tbh. the server also hosts Wolffiles and ETKey).

This for hosting a game tracker for a game, I've played for less than 10 hours during the last 5 years.

Guys, I'm really thinking about shutting off the whole thing, pushing all the code (without any database content) to Github an pulling the plug.
It's not a fun challenge to perform the at least weakly maintenance of the server (there are security nightmare popping up on daily base), but hey, at least it's a challenge
But I need to explain my lady, why she is driving a 9 years old car and "I throw the money out the windows for a game which is not even installed on any of my devices".

What will I do? What shall I do? I'm not decided.
But honestly, I'm thinking about it..... and it's hard for me to convince myself to keep the things running as they are.

Cheers
Schnoog

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:28 PM