post Mar 13 2017, 11:01 AM
Post #1

Group Icon Staff Sergeant

Group: Members

Member No.: 90298

No more XP save!
Let's measure your skill instead

What are XP?
Enemy Territory implements XPs, which measure player scores based on specific actions, such as kills, construction, or revive. They are also used to control the various skill levels, similarly to a RPG. While not part of the original game, the ability to accumulate XPs indefinitely, as known as "XP save", has been a popular addition in many mods. We all know it: players crave for their XPs. Players accumulate XPs like coins map after map, and they love exhibiting XPs on servers to show how hard and how long they worked to earn them.

The downside of XP save
However, XPs don't give any indication of the real global performance of a player. At best, they merely give a hint about the time the player has played on a specific server. Saving XPs also create some imbalance by enabling special abilities given by skill levels permanently, such as adrenaline for medics which directly leads to the infamous "Rambo medics" that everyone hates. This has never been accounted for in the original game balance, where XPs were reset at the end of matches or the end of campaigns.

With Legacy mod aiming to stay close to the original game design, it makes sense to not encourage the use of XP Save as so many mods do.

Instead of the total accumulated XPs, we're introducing a new metric, known as "Skill Rating".

The Skill Rating has been gradually implemented in the past Legacy release, with the final version being currently tested on our official test server.
Connect now to etlegacy.com to have a preview of the system!

The idea is simple:
Skill Rating is a new, proven metric that can be used to compare skill of players over time. As FPS require skills in multiple areas like reflex, planning, tactical analysis or teamwork, with the relative importance of these skills depending on the map, game mode, player roles or team compositions, a skill rating can be defined as a measure of "all parameters of a player that help his team to win" and calculated using a statistical approach.

The idea of using statistics to estimate the skill of players isn't new. ETPub implements such a metric with its "Player Rating" that gives a normalized skill score. However, "Skill Rating" of Legacy mod is modeled after TrueSkill, a more modern algorithm that has been developed by MicroSoft for its XBox matching service.

• It has many advantages over the ETPub's PR, and is very well documented.
• It has been extended to take map bias into account.
Ranks will also be adjusted to reflect the rating of the player, instead of reflecting the skill levels and XPs.

The better you perform the faster you'll rank up. However beware, several 'bad' matches and you might lose a rank again.

And now fire up the game and /connect etlegacy.com to give the system a test-run on our official test server.
Feel free to join our Discord voice chat for proper teamplay.

Cheers

What is Skill Rating?
It is a value between 0 and 50 assigned to each player. It represents its ability to help his team to win the map. Rating will be updated after each map played at intermission. New players will have a rating of 0, and it will increase over time. The rating value determined by using the strength of the team, time played in each team and the map. The performance of disconnected players is taken into account.

What do I need to do to have a good Skill Rating?
Do whatever is necessary to win the map.

What are the percentage numbers displayed on scoreboard (using double Tab)?
The first value represent the real time estimate of each team winning the map, while the second is the map bias.

The numbers show that the current game is unbalanced!
The rating system takes balance into account when updating rating. It is thus "fair" to lose an unbalanced map. Winning a map against a much weaker team will not increase your rating much, but losing against a weaker team will make your rating drop sharply. Conversely, to increase your rating quickly, join the weaker team and win as an underdog!

Where do I learn more about this Skill Rating system?
For interested people that want additional details, see the related wiki document and implementation ticket.[/I]

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wolf Enstein
post Mar 13 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #2

Group Icon General of the Army

Group: Management

Member No.: 12398

This is very interesting indeed. We've always reset the XP on our Wolf: ET servers, our Clan comes from Return to Castle Wolfenstein, so we've never liked the "XP" idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
macbeth
post Mar 13 2017, 02:45 PM
Post #3

Group Icon Colonel

Member No.: 97334

xp reseted is more for ET pro s servers

i installed et legacy 0.75 and for some maps i have a white loading screen

with legacy 74 i noticed some missing textures on few maps

https://enemyterritory-stuff.net/forums/top...y/#comment-1513

This post has been edited by macbeth: Mar 13 2017, 03:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
keMoN
post Mar 14 2017, 11:22 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (macbeth @ Mar 13 2017, 02:45 PM) *
xp reseted is more for ET pro s servers

i installed et legacy 0.75 and for some maps i have a white loading screen

with legacy 74 i noticed some missing textures on few maps

https://enemyterritory-stuff.net/forums/top...y/#comment-1513

I agree with you that XP reset is for ETPro servers, because they need same base for everyone for competitive play or clan matches etc.
The problem with XP save in all mods is that it clearly gives players that have played a lot on a server a huge advantage over new players. Especially with adrenaline medics on 156 HP vs a new player with 100 HP.
With this feature people can better compare their global performance. You will keep this rating on all ET: Legacy servers that have this feature running! However, everyone has the same setup at the start of the map which is the fairest it will ever going to get in ET.
For example shuffle votes shuffle by XP count. This is not a representative of skill, but only of time played, so the shuffle result is not really balanced. Shuffling by the skill performance again is the fairest it will ever going to get in ET.
Having global ranks makes it very easy to keep track of matches, players and servers and in the future gives the theoretical possibility of implementing some sort of match-making to revive the competitive scene in ET.

Regarding the missing textures, I have replied to your thread on ETS.

--------------------

+Quote Post
macbeth
post Mar 14 2017, 03:55 PM
Post #5

Group Icon Colonel

many servers now have xp saved for their custom mods trying to keep their regulars playing here
will ask our servers hoster to start a legacy server for ets to can test friends.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
macbeth
post Mar 20 2017, 11:06 AM
Post #6

Group Icon Colonel

QUOTE (macbeth @ Mar 14 2017, 03:55 PM) *
many servers now have xp saved for their custom mods trying to keep their regulars playing here will ask our servers hoster to start a legacy server for ets to can test friends.gif

i been on an euros legacy server today and mine fps been crazy

server ip 5.135.27.11:27960

https://enemyterritory-stuff.net/forums/top...g/#comment-1518

--------------------

+Quote Post
keMoN
post Mar 21 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (macbeth @ Mar 20 2017, 11:06 AM) *
QUOTE (macbeth @ Mar 14 2017, 03:55 PM) *
many servers now have xp saved for their custom mods trying to keep their regulars playing here will ask our servers hoster to start a legacy server for ets to can test friends.gif

i been on an euros legacy server today and mine fps been crazy

server ip 5.135.27.11:27960

https://enemyterritory-stuff.net/forums/top...g/#comment-1518

I would've replied in the tread on ETS, however it seems it's closed. Personally, I think 75 FPS is perfectly fine, but it might be unusual on Oasis. Was that the only server you connected to/where you noticed that issue?
Could you do me a favour and check a different server as well? Just to know whether it is a config problem on that specific server.
Which server was that exactly? I'd like to connect as well and see whether I also get problems there.

Thank you

--------------------

+Quote Post
macbeth
post Mar 21 2017, 12:34 PM
Post #8

Group Icon Colonel

yes this one is closed but now you can answer https://enemyterritory-stuff.net/forums/topic/579-et-legacy/
i will test other etlegacy servers to let you know
not usual for me to have a FPS at 75 mainly on an euros server i been at the ip 5.13.27.11:27960 located in France

This post has been edited by macbeth: Mar 21 2017, 12:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:25 PM