Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips on boosting FPS?
[splatterladder] Board > --:: RtCW/ET ::-- > RtCW/ET - Tips & Tricks
Eradicated
Hi, just wondering if you can give me tips off boosting my FPS.

I got a Dell Optiplex GX270
-2.8ghz processor
-512mb ram
- (sigh.. depp.gif ) ...Intel 82865 Graphics card

My ping is pretty much fine, in the 70-100 region.

My FPS gets as low as 7 when engaging multiple enemies, but when im on my own its averages to about 50.

Ive never had fps issues before so im guessing my PC is starting to pack up on me... crash.gif crash.gif crash.gif crash.gif crash.gif crash.gif crash.gif crash.gif crash.gif
eentje
Ehm.... get a computer which brand doesn't read DELL.... it's terrible... DELL's are the worthless... IMHO... but you could upgrade your RAM and dedicate more RAM to the Videocard..... and offcourse turn ur settings lower...
Rev_Jester
A new video card is all you need. Even a 4x AGP card will get you to 76 FPS no matter how many players are playing. A nVidia fx 6200 would be a big imporvement at a small cost (around $60.00 USD). If you have more cash, a 7600 GS will almost serve you well all the days of your ET life. Too bad nVidia 8000 series cards do not support 8x AGP yet. If you are a ATI fan, then any of the 9000 series cards will work well for you. Most of them are under $100.00 USD and will be more than enough for ET - playing at 1024 x 768.

I'm planning on buying three of FX 6200 cards to upgrade the three 270s I have, plus one for the Workstation 360. The only games I play on my PC are ET, Mickeysoft Flight Sim, and Links LS 2000. The hardware I have is more than enough for what I need. BTW, I have no plans to upgrade my OS to XP or Vista. I run a dual boot with SUSE Linux and Windoze 2000 Professional.

The whole thing with Dell bashing is old. I own seven, never have had any complaints or problems. I really wonder how many people that say Dells are junk have ever owned one.
Eradicated
Ah well, i was looking into buying a new card anyway. I knew the integrated graphics i got was old, but it ran ET almostly flawlessy a year or so ago, but thanks all for replies.

Im looking into buying a nvidia 8600GTS as its a pretty decent budget card, but possibly even an 8800GT just so i got some power for newer games.

Honestly, Dell are quite good. i can remember when they started, theirs PC werent exactly great, but they've now got decent systems with respectable prices.

Only problem i got with them is there love affair with damn Intel Integrated Graphics bash.gif .
GunRus
Ive got a dell

3.4 GHz
3gb (I had 2 then added 1 gb)
01lol.gif
Ragnar_40k
If you have AGP I would buy a Ati 3850 card, starts at about €150, its the fastest you can get for AGP.

If you have PCIe I would buy a 8800GT, starts also at about €150 and has imho the best price/performance ratio atm.

http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=gra256&bpma...=off&sort=p
http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=gra16_512&b...=off&sort=p

You could also add some RAM (2GB cost about €30-€50), though this is no so important for W:ET.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.